Friday, March 31, 2006
2. When someone dies of lung cancer and everyone just has to mention if the person did or didn't smoke. News flash it doesn't make it less tragic if the person did not smoke. When (an average) person dies of a heart attack do people remark on the diet and exercise routine of the said person? Is it bad for your health to smoke? Obviously yes. But i HATE, HATE, when people who don't smoke feel compelled to feel more sorry for lung cancer victims who didn't smoke. Another news flash it's CANCER! It doesn't only come from the EVIL cigarettes, it's genes and environment people. It's bad no matter how you get it. I was very sad to read Dana Reed died, but it pissed the shit out me how everyone mentioned she wasn't a smoker - yes because all those people who smoked deserved to die!
Thursday, March 30, 2006
Supermodel Naomi Campbell has been charged with assaulting her housekeeper with a cell phone after she was arrested at her Park Avenue home this morning, police said today, in the second New York celebrity phone-throwing incident in 12 months.
Okay, first time i can understand but twice? I think it's time to learn to spend time away from the cell phone and more importantly not to use physical violence to get your message across. Stupid celebrities.
And look at the mother of all excuses for bad behavior: My parents made me do it or my traumatic and sad childhood.
After that incident, in which she assaulted her assistant Georgina Galanis with a telephone, she blamed her fiery temper on lingering resentment towards her father for abandoning her as a child.
Wednesday, March 29, 2006
Monday, March 27, 2006
And then, the other day i saw a photo of her and she absolutely glowed. That energy and wit found in her writing finally showed up in her face. And the difference? The photo wasn't a self-portrait or taken by a professional; instead it was taken by her husband.
This reminded me of my friend who all in all is an attractive woman but not in the traditional sense; lets just say people (especially of the opposite sex) are drawn to her. She has a certain sensuality about her that is hard to explain without meeting her. Every time i've taken photos of her they tend to make her look horrible (and i pride myself on taking good portrait photos.) When i complained about not being able to take good photos of her, she revealed her theory that only her husband can take good pictures of her. "He sees me, like no one else does."
So there you have it, if you're not photogenic marry someone who loves you and make them take pictures of you.
Friday, March 24, 2006
* Taken as an allegory for the Bush/Blair administration
- You know that avian flu that might kill half the earth's population? The American government is probably behind: a) developing it b) decimating among the population (preferably among the children).
- Also remember 9/11, all those Israeli suicide bombings, the
- The most persecuted group in the world right now are Muslims, a close second are homosexuals.
- Christianity is an evil, evil, evil religion all its priests/pastors are pedophiles or sadomasochists.
- There is nothing more brave than being a writer/actress/director (bonus points if you're a homosexual too!)
- Bush will go on for at least two more terms causing riots and the great downfall of
- Oppressed people are all noble and if you give them a mask and a cape they will come out in perfect lines to show those evil meanies in government what they are made off.
- Blowing up buildings/old monuments is a great way to change the world.
-Everyone who is in power is tainted and evil....except maybe one or two people who have realized WHAT THIS IS REALLY ABOUT. It also helps if you're a scientists. Scientists are all good people but are tricked by nasty priests and uber-violent dictators to perform their dirty work.
- There is no irony what so ever about V living the wet dream of every yuppie ever imagined. None.
Basically Steve's post sums it up best. Except i didn't even like the "action" part of the movie.
Wednesday, March 22, 2006
Saturday, March 18, 2006
I might not agree with everything in the film but it's still pretty darn funny.
Thursday, March 16, 2006
Wednesday, March 15, 2006
Ryazanov's office is lined with visual references to Danish writer Hans
Christian Andersen, the "often ambiguous and unhappy figure," as Ryazanov
calls him, whose life and stories provide a loose framework for the film.
However he is doing many other things in the meantime, like opening a film lover's cinema house in Moscow. Good to know. I know his last efforts haven't been as good as his earlier work so hopefully Andersen will be good.
Many times Sophia's photography have blown me away. She can turn the most mundane subject and make it new, interesting, and compelling. Not only does she have an incredible eye for singular moments but she also has the extra factor of an expansive imagination (check out the fork & macaroni photos) which makes viewing her work a always an enjoyable surprise. I feel like lately there have been very few enjoyable surprises in my life. Things seem to take their natural course. So it's always nice to check in with an old friend and see something inspiring.
(P.S. Sophia is also an incredibly talented story teller to boot, alas the girl erased her blog. Grrr.)
Tuesday, March 14, 2006
Friday, March 10, 2006
My hometown: Leningrad and Needham, MA.
My team: I don't really follow any sports either. I like watching soccer from time to time. I'll root for the US or Israelli teams (sometimes for the Russians/Ukranians - figure skating.) However, i rather play the sport than watch it.
My theme song: Elliot Smith's Between the Bars and for happy occasions Leonard Cohen's Closing Time
My drink: Since i was fifteen it has been gin & tonics - clean and simple.
My occupation: Student / Future Hobo
My spare time: Reading way too many blogs, watching movies, taking long walks outside, travelling, planning my sister's bachelorette party.
My hiding spot: My car.
My book: The Little Prince and Deniskini Stories (both children stories)
My hero: My Parents (corny but true), my sister, Theodore Herzl, Leo Tolstoy, George Burns.
Pass it on to Jessica, Esther, and Writersbloc.